4-7 November 2019 - International Energy Charter, 46 Boulevard de la Woluwe, B-1200, Brussels, Belgium
Investment Arbitration Masterclass 4-7 November 2019
The 2019 edition of the Investment Arbitration Masterclass is an interactive training that will guide the participants through the main stages of investment arbitration under the rules of the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC), the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) and the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). The training will also include comprehensive coverage of the complex topic of determination of damages and strategic communication. Upon completion of the training, participants will gain the practical skills and know-how necessary to navigate an investment arbitration process successfully.
Core topics of the training will include:
- Preparation of a request for arbitration and discussions on Procedural Order No 1;
- Investment arbitration practice and procedure under the SCC, including the role of the emergency arbitrator;
- Investment arbitration practice and procedure under the PCA and UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules;
- ICSID arbitration and conciliation rules and their practical application;
- Determination of damages: when to invite economic experts, who from the company should be involved, setting realistic compensation targets in the context of international investment arbitration;
- Strategic communication.
Participants will witness how the different stages of an investment arbitration process work in practice. They will engage in discussions on the assessment of damages and drafting strategic communications. Participants will also benefit from mock exercises, which will allow them to simulate an arbitration process under the guidance of senior legal professionals.