The study is implemented with the assistance of a consultant, Fraunhofer ISI, Germany. The regional study partners are:
- Energy Charter Secretariat
- Energy Economics Institute of the Republic of Korea
- Energy Systems Institute of the Russian Federation
- Ministry of Energy of Mongolia
- Japan Renewable Energy Foundation
The core objective of the joint study is to provide Northeast Asian countries and the international community with reliable information and data concerning the potential of renewable energy sources in the region. The study also aims to stimulate the interest of the private sector and international investors, and to provide recommendations on maximising international and regional cooperation in order to promote the "Gobitec and the Asian Supergrid" initiative.
The workshop provided a forum for participating partners to exchange views and information on the ongoing regional study. Discussion focused on identifying the main opportunities and challenges of the two industrial initiatives – Gobitec and the Asian Supergrid. Energy experts discussed complex issues related to:
- perspectives on integrating renewable energy sources in the region of Northeast Asia
- available technologies and cost implications
- legal frameworks for promoting regional cooperation and investment
- benefits and challenges of regional integration
- policy measures aimed at maximising international and regional cooperation.