Since then, the Secretariat has assisted the Jordanian authorities in the accession process with significant milestones leading to the first ECT accession from the Arab world:
- Energy Efficiency Review of Jordan (2010)
- Signing the 1991 European Energy Charter and the 2015 International Energy Charter
- Energy Investment Risk Assessment (EIRA) country profile in 2017 and 2018
- Jordan ratified the ECT in April 2018
- Energy Efficiency Review of Jordan in 2019
Energy Charter Secretary-General Dr Urban Rusnák emphasises this important achievement:
“It is with great pleasure that I welcome the first country from the Arab world to the ECT. I am very pleased to have completed the accession process during the Romanian Chairmanship of the Energy Charter Conference this year. This is the fourth country to become a Contracting Party to the ECT since 2012, I am honoured to witness such a dynamic interest to the Treaty from all parts of the world. I also would like to warmly thank our colleagues in Jordan for their commitment to the ECT and its key instruments such as the EIRA project and the Energy Efficiency Review. Finally, I would like to warmly congratulate our Contracting Parties and current and former colleagues at the Secretariat, who since 2009 have contributed to achieving this outstanding outcome to enhance the rule of law in global energy architecture”.