Jordan started the accession process to the ECT back in 2009. Since then, the Energy Charter Secretariat has assisted the Jordanian authorities in the accession process with significant milestones leading to the first ECT accession from the Arab world:
- Energy Efficiency Review of Jordan (2010) (https://energycharter.org/fileadmin/DocumentsMedia/EERR/EERR-Jordan_2010_en.pdf)
- A signatory to the 1991 European Energy Charter (2007) and the 2015 International Energy Charter (2015)
- A partner in the Energy Investment Risk Assessment (EIRA) Flagship Publication in 2017 and in the public edition of 2018
- Jordan ratified the Energy Charter Treaty in April 2018
- Energy Efficiency Review for Jordan is planned for 2019
Statement from Energy Charter Secretary-General:
“It is with great pleasure that I welcome the first country from the Arab world to the Energy Charter Treaty. We have been working closely with the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan since 2009 and I am pleased to have completed the accession process during the Romanian Chairmanship of the Energy Charter Conference this year. This is the fourth country to become a Contracting Party to the ECT since 2012, I am honoured to witness such a dynamic interest in the Treaty from all parts of the world. I also would like to take this opportunity to warmly thank our colleagues in Jordan for their commitment to the Energy Charter Treaty and its key instruments such as the Energy Investment Risk Assessment project (EIRA) and the Energy Efficiency Review. Finally, I would like to warmly congratulate our Contracting Parties and my colleagues at the Secretariat, including our former collaborators who since 2009 have contributed to achieving this result for the mutual benefit of our Constituency and the future of the Energy Charter Treaty”.